« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 22/9/2007, 18:26

ADMIN

Group:
ADMIN

CITAZIONE
hille76

Salve,

here are two other pith helmets of my collection.
The first is of a inf.-regiment, that was part of the Cirene-inf.-division.
The second is a engineer unit without assignment.

I had bought this two badges with cocards in Australia. I think a Australian brought it back as a souvenir after operation "compass".
I attached this two badges to the helmets later.

Are the definitions for the two follow helmets correct with M37 (green textile) and M40 (without added green textile)

Thanks...

CITAZIONE
Fante

Hello Hille :D
Probably an Australian has emptied out an whole italian warehouse because the most part of the italian badges today come from Australia...
Any case, your definitions for the two helmets ( M37 green textile and M40 kaki textile) is enough correct.
The helmets with kaki textile are a tardive production and generally you can find them in the 1940-43 campaign.
The green one was used since 1936 but you can easily find it also in the last period of the war in Africa. Max

CITAZIONE
hille76

Thank you Max,

but are you sure, that the designation for the M37 is correct?
Because this helmet with the green textile must be earlier delivered to the troops, like in the Ethopian campaign 35/36.
The number stands normally for the year which was the first pieces produced.
I am very confused about this.

CITAZIONE
Fante

Yes, Timo, the correct datetion of the helmet is mod.35 but often it's indicated ad mod.1936.
Any case I'll try more informations about it, ok?
There are many items in the italian militaria that's very difficult to codify exactly because is difficult to find relative documentation, so often the item is known with the year of first utilization and not for the year which was the first pieces produced, as you right indicate. Max.

0 replies since 22/9/2007, 18:26   677 views